Dogs are complex, wonderful creatures. Whether curled up next to you on the couch, exploring the smells and inhabitants of your yard, alerting you to strangers, taking a long walk or run with you, dogs are capable of engaging in mutually enjoyable activities with their human partners.
Getting Started …
New places, new smells, new objects, new people. Help your puppy be successful as you introduce him/her to the sights, sounds and expectations of the human environment. Learn to read your puppy’s communication as your puppy learns to read yours.
After puppy …
Continue to build foundation skills to support your bond with your dog. Broaden and strengthen your dog’s ability to be successful in your home and the broader world. Work through adolescence. Discover mutually enjoyable activities.
Beyond Basic …
Do more with your dog by participating in AKC’s Canine Good Citizen and Tricks program. Consider therapy dog certification.
The World of Dog Sports …
Continue your journey with your dog in activities you both enjoy. Engage with others who enjoy the same activities. Train against established AKC standards for the sport. OTCPBC provides dog training classes and opportunities to trial in the following sports:
- Agility – you and your dog navigate an obstacle course under timed conditions.
- Competition Obedience – demonstrate teamwork with your dog as you perform exercises such as heeling, retrieving, staying, jumping.
- Rally – Navigate side-by-side through a course of 10-20 different signs.
- Tracking – Spend time outside with your dog as he/she demonstrates a dog’s natural ability to recognize and follow scent. This sport is the foundation of canine search and rescue work.
- Scent Work demonstrate your dog’s ability to detect specific odors in a pre-determined search area, both indoors and outside.