Class Cancellation Policy
Because class size is limited and sufficient time is necessary to contact alternate students, class tuition may only be refunded if notice, in writing or by email, is received seven (7) business days prior to the start date of a class by the instructor or the training coordinator.
Class registration closes 72 hours in advance of the class start date. You must pre-register and pay online in order to attend a class. Classes are subject to cancellation or date changes at the discrection of OTCPBC training staff.
Dogs in estrus are not permitted in the building or on the grounds of the training facility.
OTCPBC does not offer make-ups, private lessons, or transfers of monies from one class to another for any reason, including the onset of estrus in bitches. Handlers may not “drop in” to classes unless the class is a designated “drop in” class. Class registration is not complete until payment processing through PayPal has completed.
We are dedicated to maintaining the highest level of safety and still offer the training classes requested. To this end, you will notice some changes in procedures as we reopen training classes.
Please read carefully the COVID 19 Affirmation and Waiver you will sign when you register for each class.
Copy of COVID 19 Affirmation and Waiver :
By signing below, I affirm that to the best of my knowledge I am COVID-19 free. I also agree to refrain from coming to class and to notify OTCPBC, should my condition change. Further, I agree to follow club procedures and guidelines, precautions and requirements to mitigate the possibility of class attendees or building users contracting or spreading COVID-19. I understand the risks of contracting or being exposed to COVID-19 associated with my attendance at class, and I knowingly accept those risks. I agree to waive, release and hold harmless the Obedience Training Club of Palm Beach County (OTCPBC), its instructors, and its Board of Directors, from any claim or liability related to COVID-19.
COVID-19 free means that within the past 14 days I have not experienced the symptoms of COVID-19, (fever, coughing, shortness of breath). Also, I am not waiting for test results. If I have tested positively I have been released to resume normal activity. In addition, I believe that I have not been in contact with or exposed to any known carrier of COVID-19.
New class procedures
- A mask/bandana must be worn at all times while in the building. You are responsible for providing the mask. The mask may be intimidating to your dog, so please practice at home wearing the face covering so he/she is used to seeing you with a mask.
- DO NOT arrive early for your class – the doors will be locked.
- You will be asked to socially distance from all other attendees (as well as their dogs) and enter the building one at a time at the time of the scheduled class.
- Your digital temperature will be taken and if normal you will be instructed to enter the ring to begin class.
- PLEASE DO NOT ATTEND IF YOU FEEL UNWELL.
- Only the dog handler should attend the class. No spouses/children/observers.
- For classes where dogs are crated while waiting their turn, please bring crate in and get it set up prior to bringing your dog into the building.
- If you need a chair or crate during class, please bring your own. Club chairs and crates are reserved for club use and are not to be used during class.
- If you need hand sanitizer, please bring your own.
DHP or equivalent
DHP or equivalent (two sets)
Q: What if my puppy is very smart? Should I take Puppy or Basic Obedience? I have already started training at home.
A: Most people come to us with puppies that have already been started. Many know Sit, Down, Shake, and more. But young puppies need time with other puppies; they need to develop confidence. Let them be puppies and develop the obedience fundamentals we teach in puppy class. Level One is full of adult dogs, some very experienced. Better to give your youngster a chance to mature and socialize with his peers.
Puppies must be 10-18 weeks of age; dog must have had two sets of shots, including Bordetella. The cut-off age is 4.5 months, but we may make an exception for small or toy dogs. AKC STAR Puppy certificates are available to puppies through 12 months of age.
Puppy Genius: AKC STAR Puppy Class
Age range: 10 weeks – 4.5 months. Older puppies should be enrolled in Basic Obedience.
Q: What if my older puppy/adult dog already knows Sit and Stay? Does he have to take Basic Obedience?
A: Most people come to us with dogs that know basic skills. Many Level 1 dogs know Sit, Down, Shake, Stay, Come, and more. However, they need more practice listening to their owners when they are around other dogs. Many people take Level 1 twice before moving on to Level 2. However, if your dog is always accurate, focused, and responsive to you, no matter else what is going on, we’d be glad to test you for Level 2.